Tuesday, August 28, 2007

First Day of Kindergarten



One of my earliest memories is my first day of kindergarten.

... I think I cried.

Yesterday was Joshua's first day of school and when I walked out of that classroom I couldnt help but bawl again. I tried not to, and I definitely didnt let Josh or his classmates see... but I couldnt help it. I can hardly believe he is old enough to start school already.

This coming from a mom who has a daughter preparing to take her drivers test...

How can it be? My oldest daughter getting her license and my oldest son starting kindergarten - all in the same week...

A friend of mine said, "just wait til Nathan starts, you'll really be sad then"

LOL - she dont know Nate too well does she????

hehehehe

Speaking of which - Nathan didnt seem to miss his "brudda" at all. But he was happy to see him home, especially since he had an extra pack of crackers lapar

It was a nice distraction running Kait all around the city, kept my mind off my half-empty nest. Before I knew it, the time came to pick up our babies. Josh walked out the kindergarten door unscathed and in all in one piece, smiling ear-to-ear.

When we asked him how his day was his first reply was, "we didnt get to play"

LOL

he would say that.

He had his eye set on the tool bench in the back of the room.

Back to my first day of school. I remember our play area was in the back of the room too, and my eyes were on the little wooden kitchen set. I can still see myself standing there. I cant remember my teacher's name, or any of my classmates... but I can still picture that kitchen set.

We asked Josh if he met any friends... he said he wanted to talk to "James" but James didnt talk to him. I asked him what he said to James, and he replied that he didnt say anything. LOL

So I pried for more details. I wanted to know all the details of his day. Who did he sit next to? Joshua's desk is up front by the teacher's. He sits next to Paige. She has hair like his. I thought he meant she has blond hair, but no - he meant she has short hair. Doesnt that just make you smile?

More interrogation: Did you sing any songs? Did you play any games? What did you learn? How was lunch?

He's not a very good narrator, but he did tell us about the Penny Game, and how he wanted to pick pink as his favorite color - to Jon's dismay pinky

For snack "the helper" gave him golden fish (gold fish crackers). I explained to Josh "the helper" is the child that brings snacks in for the day, they are the designated teacher's aid for the whole day, and soon enough it would be HIS turn to help to. He is already planning on what to take in on his day.

When we got home he couldnt wait to show us the fish he had made out of a paper plate and empty his homework folder which was simply some emergency contact forms. Homework for mom... just what i wanted. In triplicate.

I thought for sure Josh would pass out early last night but he surprised me and made it through the whole night.

One thing though, kindergarten sure makes a hungry boy. Despite a bowl of Applejacks before he left, a snack and a full lunch he came home ravished. He said his tummy was "grumbling"

This morning he didnt want to eat breakfast and I had to remind him about his "grumbles" yesterday. He decided he could eat a cereal straw with some chocolate milk.

I imagine he is at lunch right now as I type. I packed him a surprise today - a Dim Dim (Slim Jim).

I cant wait to hear his stories today. Tomorrow will be his last day this week as Thursday he goes to Pittsburgh already.

Seems like we just went.

It's supposed to be another spinal this month to make up for the one he missed. Two in a row. Good thing he has a long weekend to recover.

I hope everyone has a nice Labor Day weekend. Halie won a large Mum plant from a Chinese auction on Sunday and she wants to plant them at Grandma's stone this weekend. The boys like to go to the gorge. I think we'll make a day of it.

The girls made a slide show of Josh's first day... so without further ado:











No comments: